There is version that was released recently through Broken Rekids as part of a Zounds box set. The jacket is stapled to the cover in that pressing. not sure about the exact date. Reply Notify me Helpful.
Companies, etc. Recorded At – Southern Studios. Mixed At – Southern Studios. Design – Eve Libertine, Zounds (2). Design – Dr. Inadequate Phuck. Drums – Josef Portar. Matrix, Runout (Side A, hand-etched): 421984/3-1 X WORK FOR REVOLUTION - SUBVERT! Matrix, Runout (Side B, hand-etched): 421984/3-1 Z WORK FOR REVOLUTION - NOW! Other Versions (2 of 2) View All.
Still the raw charm of Karma seeps from its every crease. Less f cked-off at surface value, from an aesthetic angle, Zounds paid more tribute to proto-punkers like Modern Lovers and the Real Kids, locking into tight guitar patterns and laying their blue-collar politico lyrics over the top. Unlike the general MO of anarchist acts, they were prone to injecting short melodic breakdowns and letting the lines take prettier turns at times. That divergence from the presupposed set is felt most obviously in Subvert, as close as Zounds got to a staple number
01 - Can't Cheat Karma. 02 - War. 03 - Subvert. Spent an evening with zounds after they played in Birmingham, thanks to Andy for introducing the band to us fans. Great night and great people, Sounds as good today as back then 1980. I have never understood why that album is in bits and pieces amongst youtube You gotta sit and listen to that album in its entirety. 4:10 Subvert 2:38 War 0:00 Can't cheat karma.
Track listing: 01 - Can't Cheat Karma 02 - War 03 - Subvert. labelZounds labelCan't labelCheat labelKarma. Always felt like you were getting a bargain when something came out on the crass label. For all the cheating, bullshitting politicians. YOU CANNOT CHEAT KARMA. if she wants you, then yerv fucked up big time.
Video: ZOUNDS - SUBVERT ('Can't cheat Karma' EP, 1980) ch 2nd, 1982). Zounds has been described as a political band. It has been labelled as squat-rock, pop-rock, peace-punk, anarcho-punk, post-punk, psychedelic, punk-pop and a million other things, said frontman Steve Lake in 2013. Moving to Rough Trade Records, the band released their debut album The Curse of Zounds in 1982, a record not only recognised for its great song-writing but for its sleeve. Featuring cover art by political artist Clifford Harper, the design features a painting of fire fighters apparently trying to extinguish a blaze at the Houses of Parliament.
Can't Cheat Karma lyrics. Album: The Curse Of Zounds
And war War War War. Subvert Subvert Subvert Subvert. If you gotta job You can be an agent You can work for revolution In your place of employment. If you gotta job you can be an agent You can work for revolution in your place of employment If you work in a factory throw a spanner in the works Internal sabotage, hit them where it hurts. If you gotta job Where they treat you like a slave Where they treat you like a zombie In their corporate grave. If you've got a job Cause there's nothing else to do Where they think they've got you trapped in The boxes that they choose. 1. War. 3. Can't Cheat Karma.
|B||Can't Cheat Karma|
- Copyright (c) – Zounds
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Zounds
- Recorded At – Southern Studios
- Mixed At – Southern Studios
- Design [Design Work By] – Eve Libertine, Zounds
- Design [Poster Design By] – Dr. Inadequate Phuck
- Drums – Ed
- Engineer [Engineered By] – John Loder
- Guitar – Laurence Wood
- Producer [Produced By] – Penny Rimbaud
- Vocals, Bass Guitar – Steve Lake
- Words By, Music By – Zounds
NotesFold open sleeve includes lyrics, credits, artwork and info with vinyl dust sleeve stapled inside. Includes single-sided, A3 folded poster of artwork on back sleeve.
The drums are credited to Josef Portar but a session musician named Ed actually played drums on this release.
The Poster design is credited to Dr. Inadequate Phuck, but the text printed on the border is a quote by Pierre-Joseph Proudon.
Recorded and Mixed at Southern Studios, London, July 5 & 7 1980.
Special Thanks to Mandy, Ed & Crass. All Material © ℗ Zounds.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1: Side A, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - SUBVERT! AR S1 421984/3-1 X
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1: Side B, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - NOW! S11 421984/3-1 Z KR
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2: Side A, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - SUBVERT! P2 S2 421984/3-1 X KR
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2: Side B, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - NOW! S10 421984/3-1 Z KR
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 3: Side A, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - SUBVERT! 3 S26 KR 421984/3-1 X
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 3: Side B, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - NOW! 3 S25 KR 421984/3-1 Z
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 4: Side A, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - SUBVERT! 3 S19 KR 421984/3-1 X
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 4: Side B, Etched): WORK FOR REVOLUTION - NOW! 3 S18 KR 421984/3-1 Z
|421984/3||Zounds||Can't Cheat Karma / War / Subvert (7")||Crass Records||421984/3||UK||1980|
|421984/3||Zounds||Can't Cheat karma / War / Subvert (7", TP, W/Lbl)||Crass Records||421984/3||UK||1980|