The Royal Scam is the fifth studio album by Steely Dan, originally released by ABC Records in 1976. The album went gold and peaked at on the charts. The Royal Scam features more prominent guitar work than the prior Steely Dan album, Katy Lied, which had been the first without founding guitarist Jeff Baxter. Guitarists on the recording include Walter Becker, Denny Dias, Larry Carlton, Elliott Randall and Dean Parks.
The Royal Scam is the first Steely Dan record that doesn't exhibit significant musical progress from its predecessor, but that doesn't mean the album is any less interesting. The cynicism that was suppressed on Katy Lied comes roaring to the surface on The Royal Scam - not only are the lyrics bitter and snide, but the music is terse, broken, and weary.
The Royal Scam is a music studio album recording by STEELY DAN (Jazz ive Rock) released in 1976 on cd, lp, vinyl and/or cassette. Steely Dan is truly brilliant for me, right now I'm listening to the whole album once more but at times I can hardly believe my ears. Because track 7 is Haitian Divorce and that's a true evergreen as we all know and in fact the only single I bought in those days, it was one of the few SD-hits in Holland.
The Royal Scam is a transitional album for Steely Dan; melody dominates lyric in the sense that the former pushes into new rhythmic areas for the group (more pure jazz, semireggae and substantially more orchestration than before) while the verbal content is clearer, even mundane, by previous Dan standards. While Scam is certainly not a concept album, every song-with the possible exception of The Fez -concerns a narrator’s escape from a crime or sin recently committed. If The Royal Scam lacks ready-made Top 40 fodder, it also widens Steely Dan’s already considerable parameters. Their next album, if one can speculate about this lovably perverse bunch, should be a pop killer.
The Royal Scam is an album by Steely Dan, originally released in 1976. The Royal Scam features more prominent guitar work than other Steely Dan albums. With irony-laden verses about drug dealers, safe sex, and hardships faced by immigrants, The Royal Scam is arguably Steely Dan at their most cynical.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|2||The Caves Of Altamira||3:32|
|3||Don't Take Me Alive||4:14|
|4||Sign In Stranger||4:21|
Written-By – Donald Fagen, P.L.Griffin*, Walter Becker
|8||Everything You Did||3:56|
|9||The Royal Scam||6:32|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Distributed By – BMG Records (UK) Ltd.
- Glass Mastered At – Nimbus
- Published By – MCA Music Ltd.
- Engineered At – ABC Recording Studios
- Engineered At – A&R Studios
- Art Direction, Design – Ed Caraeff
- Artwork [Cover Art] – Charlie Ganse, Zox
- Backing Vocals – Clydie King, Michael McDonald, Sherlie Matthews, Tim Schmit*, Venetia Fields*
- Bass – Chuck Rainey
- Design [Typographic] – Tom Nikosey
- Drums – Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta
- Engineer – Elliot Shiner*, Roger Nichols
- Engineer [Mix Down] – Barney Perkins, Roger Nichols
- Guitar – Dean Parks, Dennis Dias*, Elliott Randall, Larry Carlton
- Guitar, Bass, Arranged By [Horns] – Walter Becker
- Horns – Bob Findley, Jim Horn, John Klemmer, Plas Johnson, Slyde Hyde
- Horns, Arranged By [Horns] – Chuck Findley
- Keyboards – Don Grolnick, Paul Griffin
- Keyboards, Percussion – Victor Feldman
- Lead Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Backing Vocals, Arranged By [Horns] – Donald Fagen
- Percussion – Gary Coleman
- Producer – Gary Katz
- Written-By – Donald Fagen (tracks: 1 to 4, 6 to 9), Walter Becker (tracks: 1 to 4, 6 to 9)
NotesPackage includes a 4 panel insert featuring front cover, credits and Track listing.
℗ 1976 MCA Records, Inc. © 1976 MCA Records, Inc.
Distributed by BMG Records (UK) Ltd..
Printed on Back cover: "Also available on cassette MCLC 19083"
Disc 'Made in England'
No label code, No Mastering code
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Printed): 0 08811 90832 4
- Barcode (Scanned): 008811908324
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1): DMCL 1708 : 2 : 3 ·MASTERED· ·BY NIMBUS·
- Mastering SID Code (Variant 1): none
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): none
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 2): DMCL 1708 : 2 : 5
- Mastering SID Code (Variant 2): none
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): none entered
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 3): DMCL 1708 : 2 : 4 ·MASTERED· ·BY NIMBUS·
- Mastering SID Code (Variant 3): none
- Mould SID Code (Variant 3): ifpi 2307
|ABCD-931||Steely Dan||The Royal Scam (LP, Album, San)||ABC Records||ABCD-931||US||1976|
|MCLC 1708||Steely Dan||The Royal Scam (Cass, Album)||ABC Records||MCLC 1708||UK||1976|
|ABCL-0171||Steely Dan||The Royal Scam (LP, Album, San)||ABC Records||ABCL-0171||US||1976|
|6040, MP-6040, MP-6.040||Steely Dan||The Royal Scam (LP, Album)||ABC Records, ABC Records, ABC Records||6040, MP-6040, MP-6.040||Portugal||1977|
|6-26-404-029||Steely Dan||Royal Scam (LP, Album)||ABC Records||6-26-404-029||Brazil||1976|